Geocities Closes Down for Good


Sadly, one of the founding fathers of free web hosting has met its doom. Geocities, a popular platform in the 90’s, offering users free web space and bandwidth for building their own community or simply a simple web page, has now crippled to Yahoo!’s losing competition with paid hosting, whereas more and more competitors offer lower prices or simply better deals. Registrations on the site have been halted and current users are encouraged to make backups of their archives before everything is completely obliterated.

My first HTML codes were placed on this site. Despite my former community being defunct, I still miss my acquaintance with particularly hard coding – which is basic HTML. I’ve met some very cool people via this site, and I know they feel the same way I do right now.

We will all miss you, Geocities. This is the end of an era, I guess. Now, let’s get back on with our lives.

0 reactions:

Post a Comment